Thursday, February 08, 2007

Such a Silly Thing

She let the rain drip into her eyes
From the tips of drenched, matting hair.
Like blades of grass offering up dew to the dawn,
The drops bowed and found their place.
She was away from me and the warm shelter I provided.

My eyes were wide as she began to dance,
Each twirl leading to another spin and twist,
The umbrella, stale in my hand, was no help now:
The water found its way into her spirit.
She was happy damp, smiling, and spun.

And as that slippery top whirled before me
I was a child again, watching and learning;
Wishing on old stars she could teach me now,
And that I could let go of stubborn inhibition.

She was so free as her dress lurched out,
Away from her rotating core,
Throwing specks of wash from its rings.
I stood alone holding her umbrella,
Laughing, because I knew she would start to sing.
Laughing, because I knew such a silly thing.

No comments: