Friday, February 02, 2007

Lost and Found

Such enthusiastic devotions to ideas and dreams
Conqueror all that persists in the lingering night scenes,
And such a busy head, full of this new, sweet poison,
Makes me mistrust my suspicions of losing something golden.

Not that what was had did not shine; it was bright,
It was magnificent, and it was searing. But it was not lost.
Nor was it mine to have all. Observation over ownership
Has sunk ships and swimmers for all their misunderstandings.

Closeness is kindred and I understand the rules
And I understand that I did not lose. Nor did I win,
For there is no prize for covered eyes if they close again.
I was tired of the dark, so I gently force mine open always.

But even with wind-dried opportunities I decided looking was wrong
Until I happened upon something happy, it was wonderful what I saw:
A chance to express all that I did detest about any humble fall,
And the comfortable grasp of shared laughs in vulnerable moments.

No comments: