Tuesday, April 03, 2007

For Lampasas, Texas

I could hurt myself all night
Staring at photographs I should have been in.
What happened to my life?
Didn’t I have a path, didn’t I have a path?

What road have I chosen?
And with all this dirt, where can it lead?
Didn’t I have a gravel black blacktop dream?
I suppose everyone wakes up, it’s not just me.

I see so clearly where I’d stand
If I hadn’t left, I know where I’d be.
I waited for it, but it was not reserved.
You couldn’t have saved the spot for me.

It’s fine, I concentrate on what’s mine,
I try to steal away the time
From what I spend lamenting for this,
I just miss the possibilities of my past.

I had a role
I had a home
And no matter how hard I build
I can’t see to find one here.

I’m just a renter.
I just rent the space I have.
When I’m gone it will be bought,
And I’ll be on to another old thought.

No comments: