Saturday, August 30, 2008

15 minutes, 8/30

(two college students, one boy and one girl. America average with a hint of passively-hip defiance. they are in the hall of a dorm building.)

No, you're right. She's usually wrong. At least with names.

But my name is easy.

Jodie?

What?

(beat. eye contact.)

Do you want to come watch t.v. with me?

I don't usually watch much t.v. Sure.

(they start walking to his room)

But she knows what she's talking about.

Professor Croner?

Physics, yeah. You're just ambiguous with her for a while.

That's not bad. I hope.

What else are you taking?

Philosophy 101 with Majors, some sort of science class. Spanish I think. Two intro literary surveys.

You're an English major.

Yes.

You should take Waters. Or McCasey. And Steve...Steve...what was Steve's last name?

You'll have to get back to me on that.

Steve....Steve...I'll have to get back to you on that.

(they reach the room. they stop at the door.)

So have you ever sat on a fufa?

No. What's that?

It's a giant bean bag but instead of beans it's filled with memory foam. NASA invented it.

So it's a memory foam bag?

No. It's a fufa.

(he opens the door. they walk in. he closes the door. they stop.)

Jodie?

Yeah?

(they start kissing. they kiss toward the fufa. they kiss their way onto the fufa, awkwardly. they stop.)

You taste like cigarettes.

Fufas are comfortable. Do you think I'm pretty?

You write poetry.

I do.

(they start kissing. they stop.)

Do you want to read my poems?

Of course. Now?

(they start kissing. his phone vibrates in his pocket)

That feels...good.

I should answer this.

(beat. eye contact.)

Never mind.

(they keep kissing. it keeps vibrating)

No, I have to answer this.

Yes.

Hello? Hey sis.

(he covers the phone. to Jodie:)

It's my sister.

Good.

(back to the phone:)

Hi. How is everything. Okay. When did you get out of the hospital? Oh. Well. When did he get out of the hospital. Good, that's great. Congratulations. Of course. No. No, champagne is always funny. Yeah. Yeah, right. Not for him. Okay. Well, thank you. No, no. It's fine; I don't smoke. No, that was Howard. I wish he would too. Okay. Okay. Well, indeed and back to you. I love you. Bye.

(he hangs up. beat. back to Jodie:)

I completely forgot she was pregnant.

What's her name?

It was a boy.

Your sister?

She had a boy. Her name is Catherine.

What's the baby's name.

It's a boy. His name is Peter. I'm an uncle.

You sound worried.

More confused.

Things happen for a reason.

Do you like Thai food?

No. Curry is good.

Right.

(they start kissing)

No comments: